My name is Victoria. I’m 23 years old, currently finishing off a Masters in Interpreting Studies at the University of Malta (M. Interp). I also hold a BA (Hons.) degree in English from the University of Malta (class of 2016), and currently am working as a teacher in an English language school and as a freelance proof reader. Currently, my plan (and dream) is to move out of Malta by mid-2018, which I am working very hard on fulfilling. I also intend on writing more and more academic pieces, hopefully leaving my footprint on the world of academia at some point.
I lived in Limerick, Ireland for 4 months at a point, which was a pivotal moment in my life. Though I love Malta for all its worth, Limerick was the place I truly matured and grew into myself. Living away from home was the bet decision I ever made, really.
I’m the daughter of a published historian, Vince Zammit, and Laurence Mizzi (“Inkwiet u Qaddisin”) is my great uncle. You could say that writing runs in the family. I’ve certainly been exposed to it my whole life.
As for the more personal things…
- I’m an Aries
- I’m an auntie to the best three year old in the world
- I have been acting for as long as I remember, and have also tried a stint at play writing and directing
- I love literature and all art forms
- My most defining feature is my curly hair and my very loud laugh
- I struggle with cognitive anxiety and clinical depression, which has cost me a lot of my energy, friendships, and relationships in the past, but is now something that I am learning to deal with
- I love to travel, and try to go to one new place ever year. I save up my money purely to travel as much as possible
- I grew up reading the Harry Potter series, which my older brother introduced me to
- Coincidentally, my older brother was probably one of my biggest influences growing up
- I firmly believe that the part of ‘Ariel’ (The Tempest) was made for me to perform, as was the part of ‘Angelo’ (Measure for Measure)
- I spent a good portion of my life thinking of myself as a ‘sad poet’. I don’t think I’ve moved past that part of my life yet
- My friends are an incredibly important and staple part of my life. They are my Tribe, my Village, my People, and I would be nothing without their endless support and love
I hope this has created a bit of an insight about the person I am. I welcome any and all messages or questions that anybody has about my writing or about me.
If anybody is interested in buying anything, I also manage a store of Shakespeare merchandise on Redbubble, which you can see here.
Follow me on Facebook.
If you want to see my publications, click below:
- A short story titled ‘A Gut Feeling‘
Favourite novel: 1984 by George Orwell, Dracula by Bram Stoker, The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Favourite Shakespeare play: “Measure for Measure”, “The Tempest”, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
Favourite book series: Harry Potter series by J K Rowling, The Doomspell Trilogy by Cliff McNish
Favourite TV series: “Smash” (NBC), “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” (Fox), “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” (WB), “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (World of Wonder), “Steven Universe” (Cartoon Network), “Miranda” (BBC One)
[[Realistically, I could go on forever about my favourite shows. Ask me about them sometime!]]
Favourite music: Billy Talent, Caravan Palace, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, MisterWives, Bastille, Parov Stelar, Glass Animals
Top Three by each artist mentioned:
- “Fallen Leaves” by Billy Talent / “Afraid of Heights” by Billy Talent / “Time-Bomb Ticking Away” by Billy Talent
- “Lone Digger” by Caravan Palace / “Russian” by Caravan Palace / “Wonderland” by Caravan Palace
- “Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On A Bad Bet” by Fall Out Boy / “Dance Dance” by Fall Out Boy / “Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down” by Fall Out Boy
- “Victorious” by Panic! at the Disco / “Crazy = Genius” by Panic! at the Disco / “New Perspective” by Panic! at the Disco
- “Reflections” by MisterWives / “Box Around the Sun” by MisterWives / “Imagination Infatuation” by MisterWives
- “Skulls” by Bastlle / “Pompeii” by Bastille / “Campus” by Bastille / “Daniel in the Den” by Bastille / “Good Grief” by Bastille / “Oil on Water” by Bastille
[[I cheated here I’m sorry]]
- “Catgroove” by Parov Stelar / “Djangos Revenge” by Parov Stelar / “Josephine” by Parov Stelar
- “Poplar St” by Glass Animals / “The Other Side of Paradise” by Glass Animals / “Life Itself” by Glass Animals
Favourite movie: Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2, Donnie Darko, Legally Blonde, The Muppets (2011)
Favourite webseries: KindaTV’s “Carmilla” which you can watch here
Favourite comic: Marvel’s “Runaways”
Favourite author: Stephen King
Favourite poet: William Shakespeare, Edna St. Vincent Millay, T. S. Eliot, Robert Frost
Favourite poems: ‘The Waste Land’ by T. S. Eliot, ‘Fire and Ice’ by Robert Frost, ‘You All Have Lied’ by Edna St. Vincent Millay, ‘Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening’ by Robert Frost, Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare
Influences: Edna St. Vincent Millay, Stephen King, Angie Sage, John Keats